Senior Business Intelligence Engineer at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you’ll help build on this momentum. Together, we’ll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
Our Business Intelligence team is tasked with building and supporting the BI infrastructure at Upwork that analysts and partners use on a daily basis to make critical business decisions. In this role, you will own the implementation and management of those tools and processes, define and enforce best practices in our BI reporting portfolio, and oversee data governance within the BI reporting portfolio. You will have an instrumental role in ensuring that our analysts, business partners, and the executive team have consistent and reliable data and insights at their fingertips.
- Own the implementation and management of Business Intelligence technologies
- Exemplify engineering excellence including, but definitely not limited to: DRY code, object inheritance, SQL query optimization, version control, and promotion of code through environments.
- Enforce data governance policies and ensure data quality across our BI portfolio through SQL understanding, data reconciliation, and pull request review.
- Work with analysts, data engineering technical product managers, and data engineers to productionalize repeatable reporting processes.
- Evangelize and increase adoption of the BI solutions by supporting and continuously training the user community.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 4+ years experience in data analytics and/or data engineering in medium and large size companies.
- Minimum of 1 year experience, though preferably 2+ years, with Looker’s LookML language OR deep experience with application engineering and a proven ability to teach yourself new languages
- Training and teaching experience
- Expert-level SQL knowledge; experience with PostgreSQL a preference
- Ability to read and write code including scripting (Bash Shell, Python, Java, and/or Perl)
How to really knock our socks off:
- Expertise in working on both sides of the business analysis divide, between data engineers writing scripts and stakeholders looking for business performance insights
- 1+ years of client-facing production responsibility
- Work with Cloud based solutions and other service based architectures (AWS, REST APIs, etc)
- Hands-on experience in the marketplace business model and/or user behavior tracking and analytics.
- Hands-on experience with modern Business Intelligence, ETL and data warehousing technologies including no-SQL solutions
- Experience in architecting and implementing enterprise level integrations
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday’s, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.