Engineering Manager (Early/Mid Level)
Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate on Sketch and XD files. Our company's mission is to dramatically improve the productivity, transparency and impact of Design. Since launching in July 2017, over 5,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from Microsoft, Cisco, Intuit, Salesforce, Instacart, OpenTable, and more.
At Abstract, we are actively working to build a diverse and inclusive organization. Here, diversity includes age, economic class, educational background, ethnic variance, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, or veteran status.
Abstract is headquartered in San Francisco but many of our teams and roles are remote-first (US-based only at this time). If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs in a rapidly-changing environment, and have a strong, team-player mentality, we'd love to hear from you!
About the Role
Abstract is looking for an Engineering Manager to help lead our growing team. At Abstract, we develop desktop and web applications that help teams design with confidence by providing a version control system and collaboration platform focused on design files.
At Abstract, we lead by serving our teams with empathy, knowledge, and coordination. Our Engineering team is very distributed within the U.S. In this role, you would lead a team of highly skilled engineers who are part of a cross-functional team, called a Squad, which focuses on one of our product areas.
What you'll do:
- Own daily management of objectives, priorities, tradeoffs, and risks for your squad.
- Collaborate with Product and Design within your squad to ensure cross-functional alignment and execute on the product roadmap.
- Help implement effective engineering processes and policies that help us earn the love of our customers.
- Get to know and help your direct reports by meeting with them one on one, setting goals, and facilitating feedback conversations to support their growth, career progression, well-being, and performance.
- Work with the rest of the engineering management team on initiatives to support and create a healthy, thriving, and inclusive engineering organization.
- Partner closely with HR and the Recruiting team to attract, recruit, and retain diverse engineering talent.
- Be accountable for customer experience on your squad.
What you'll bring:
- People management and development. **Ideally 2 to 3 years of experience** managing product-based engineering teams. You're also passionate about managing, coaching, mentoring, professional development, and crafting opportunities to support your reports' success.
- Coding experience. You've been a software engineer, know what it takes to be a great software engineer and you can discuss technical strategy, architecture, and tradeoffs. You're comfortable providing direction and thoughtful feedback, and prefer leading through your talented team vs. a 'do it yourself' approach.
- Data-driven. You leverage quantitative and qualitative data to make strategic decisions. For example- you own and execute squad activities with the help of dashboards. You're familiar with Jira.
- Organization and project management. You are highly organized and able to manage impactful projects across functional teams. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills are required.
Bonus points if you have:
- Distributed work or management experience. You've been a remote employee or have managed people in remote settings before.
- You have worked on and/or understand distributed systems and large scale engineering challenges.