Senior Manager, Design Infrastructure
GitHub is looking for an experienced Design Manager to lead a group of designers working on core experience initiatives for GitHub.com. This team will work alongside the design systems team within Design Infrastructure, part of the Product Design organization.
The core experiences team works with how our systems are applied within the product, prioritizes customer experience, and works closely with product design and engineering teams. You’ll be working closely with designers and engineers working on our design system, so that we evolve systems for the needs of our product. Our team is comprised of talented individuals who have backgrounds in product design, design systems, design ops, and illustration; as well as CSS experts, and engineers with front-end and full-stack experience working in Rails and React.js.
What we're looking for:
Managers in the product design org are people managers and design leads, so we look for candidates with IC experience in the same field as the people they will be managing. For this specific role we're looking for someone who values the following:
- Systems thinking: Our team has to apply decisions holistically, making sure to look at new patterns in context to the larger system of the product, as well as ensuring we support experiences for individual features.
- Creating together: Getting to the right result is our focus, this can come from systems designers or product designers, and ideally both. Facilitating collaboration between teams and individuals is key so that we continue to evolve the design system alongside the needs of the product.
- Progress and impact: Our team often works on the meta and so it's easy to get caught up in the design details. We have to be mindful of this and ensure we keep making decisions and move forward. This means being solutions oriented and prioritizing progress over correctness when it's the right call.
- Candidness: We encourage candidness and recognize its role in building trust between IC’s and managers or peers. It can take time and effort to get there but it's worth it. Making decisions for projects, design patterns, and processes, will yield better results when we can get to the “real talk”.
- Help to set your team up for success and enable them to do their best work.
- Provide regular design feedback and direction to your team.
- Prioritize quarterly projects and incoming requests against business needs.
- Work with designers on your team to develop their career paths, and provide coaching to grow their skills.
- Seek out opportunities for connecting people and teams working on related projects.
- Develop the roadmap for GitHub core experience projects in collaboration with product design leadership, and oversee agreed upon projects until completion.
- Build impactful relationships across the product, engineering, and other cross-functional partners you're working with.
- Recruit and onboard new designers to your team.
You might be a fit if:
- You have 2 years or more experience leading a product design or design systems team.
- You have 5 years minimum design experience as an individual contributor.
- You have experience balancing trade-offs between the needs of feature ships with solutions that will last.
- You have experience coaching and mentoring designers, supporting them in growing their skills and careers.
- You are organized and are comfortable overseeing multiple design projects, ensuring that your team can stay focused on creating great experiences.
- You know how to apply just enough process, keeping the team nimble and successful in a culture that values moving fast and iterating quickly.
- You can find the highest impact opportunities and iterate on them quickly while things are in motion.
- You are confident in writing HTML & CSS and are comfortable using Git version control.
- You have experience recruiting and onboarding designers.
- You have experience leading product strategy.
These qualifications will help you stand out:
- Experience building a design systems team from scratch.
- You have a technical background or experience working on developer tools.
- Experience designing cross-platform experiences
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.