Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer (remote option available within U.S.)
Zignal Labs is the world’s leading media analytics company, helping companies build and protect their most valuable asset: their brand. With unparalleled data veracity, speed to surface insights and a holistic view of the traditional and new media landscape, Zignal empowers the most innovative communications and marketing teams across the Fortune 1000 to measure the conversation around their brands in real-time, rapidly identify and mitigate reputational risks and inform strategic decision-making to achieve mission-critical business outcomes. Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York City and Washington D.C., Zignal serves customers around the world, including Expedia, GoPro, DaVita, Under Armour, Synchrony, Prudential, DTE Energy, The Public Goods Project and Uber. To learn more, visit: www.zignallabs.com .
Are you interested in working in a sector that combines enormous social media data, traditional media data, and Big Data technology? Are you interested in working for a product that empowers the Fortune 1000 to measure the conversation around their brands in real-time, rapidly identify and mitigate reputational risks? Are you interested in working for a startup that serves the Fortune 1000 and values innovation above everything else? If you answer YES to all these questions, please read on!
At Zignal Labs, we put customers first! Zignal Labs platform engineering team is building the next generation of big data streaming platform that forms the backbone of our customer experiences. We are building something unprecedented in the industry, we are also facing challenges that can only be solved through innovation and creative thinking! We are looking for a Senior level engineer LIKE YOU to join our team and help us to further design and development of this platform.
About the Role
Platform Engineering team at Zignal Labs takes care of ingestion of social media data like twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. plus traditional media data like newspapers and TV broadcasts, we enrich the data based on customers’ profile, we index the data then deliver the data to customers in relevant ranked and context-rich formats, all done in real-time measured in seconds! The team is missioned to build a big-data streaming and search platform, which enables ingestion, enrichment, indexing, query and influence intelligence of any social and traditional media data.
There is more than just design and coding software - we want you to be able to measure the business impact of platform technology, things like real-time streaming & instrumentation of data enrichment pipeline, search profile percolation pipeline, data aggregation, query tagging/retagging, etc. All these require you to have a deep understanding of both the science and how it is applied through technology.What's in it for you:
- Impact - This role has a tremendous influence on how the platform impacts all other products in Zignal Labs as well as how the wonderful services will be experienced by our customers. The right engineering candidate will thrive in this environment — influencing the way customers are able to explore the data that will protect their brands and respond to issues in real-time.
- Vision - This role requires you bring up your own vision to lead the technical direction for the team, and drive the product by your vision, while still maintaining hands-on technical responsibilities.
- Innovation & Rewards - You will be very well rewarded by your contributions & innovations. You have full support from directors and executives to bring your innovation ideas to full production! You are encouraged to bring cutting-edge technologies to product!
- Build scalable and distributed streaming and search systems including content ingestion, enrichment, indexing, and query platform.
- Continuously improve reliability, scalability, and stability of all streaming services and search system.
- Architect solutions for real-time data enrichment, search tagging optimization and data quality.
- Work cross-functionality with other teams in Zignal Labs to drive the innovations of our products.
- Participate in the hiring process for the platform engineering team.
- 5+ years of design and development experience in building scalable, high performing and robust backend Java or Scala applications; it’s essential to have experiences with concurrency, multithreading, cloud architectures, and distributed systems.
- Experience with large scale backend infrastructure. Familiarity with ElasticSearch/Solr a plus.
- Experience with big data processing and architectures. Familiarity with Storm/Spark/Flink/AWS Kinesis a plus.
- A proven track record of optimization and design improvements for performance and scalability.
- Strong knowledge of database and data fundamentals and SQL and Nosql principles.
- Outstanding attention to detail and excellent communication skills
- BS / MS / Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience working in startups or agile development teams a plus
- Competitive salary based on the work you do
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Flexible time off – work with your manager to take the time you need
- Up to 16 hours of paid time off to volunteer in your local community
- Learning environment where we value professional and personal development
- Catered lunches 3 times a week and fully stocked kitchen
- Our office is located in the Financial District just blocks away from BART
Zignal Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer. No sponsorship is available for this position.