Product & Privacy Counsel
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our outstanding corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.The Role
We're looking for a lawyer seeking a fun and rewarding challenge! We are a company with a public mission dedicated to encouraging the value of the internet as a global public resource, through a wide variety of products, including the Firefox web browser. This role will work alongside our Legal, Trust & Security, and Policy teams to advise on new technologies with an eye towards meaningful privacy implementation and reform. You’ll get to do a little bit of everything: from advising our internal engineering and product teams, working with our marketing team in promoting our products, and helping to guide Mozilla’s privacy practices.Responsibilities:
In your role, you will:
- Provide practical legal advice through the product lifecycle across technologies including speech, browsers, virtual reality, subscriptions, and more.
- Identify risks and work cross-collaboratively with teams to propose and implement creative and practical solutions.
- Draft, revise, and maintain consumer and developer legal terms, privacy policies, and privacy trainings.
- Engage across Mozilla with engineering, marketing, product management, business development, PR, community leaders, developers, and marketing on product related legal and privacy matters.
- J.D. degree and membership in a state bar with good standing
- 2-5 years as an in-house attorney
- Substantial experience with privacy laws and application
- High proficiency in internet technologies and software development
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help build more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender (with or without sexual conduct), gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. We will provide reasonable accommodation to an employee or job applicant with a disability.