Principal Support Engineer
Our customers are at the forefront of some of the most interesting data in the world, using MemSQL to push the boundaries every day. To do this well, they leverage the expertise of our Support Engineering Team, composed of technical subject matter experts on the frontlines of critical customer issues.
Our Escalation Engineers are our go-to resource for our most challenging customer cases, which can include technical complexity or politically charged escalations. They are the ones that are able to take ownership of any customer issue and see it through to resolution. In this Escalation Engineering role you should expect to be delving deep into database engine internals and memory allocators, investigating Linux performance or host configurations to see how they might be impacting the database, or troubleshooting complex SQL query behavior, all in the name of resolving critical customer or product issues.
As a member of our Support Engineering team, you will be constantly learning a wide range of customer systems and technical concepts or new product features to ensure you are ready to handle the new and exciting challenges that customers encounter. To accurately identify the source and solution of an issue, this team will take the time to learn about the customer’s business and systems while helping to improve their fundamental MemSQL and database operational knowledge. This often requires additional research and time spent on learning new technologies and tools outside of MemSQL while also being deeply engaged with multiple departments including engine development teams, query performance, product management, infrastructure SREs, and others.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide email and live technical support to our enterprise customers.
- Act as our highest escalation point for critical customer outages and escalations.
- Identify and reproduce product issues and submit formal bug reports or feature requests to the appropriate development team.
- Oversee postmortems and root cause analyses with the intention to prevent a repeat occurrence and to improve the product or internal procedures.
- Identify and recommend product changes or improvements to better meet our customer’s needs or reduce any friction of using MemSQL.
- Collaborate with software developers, solution engineers, and technical account managers to keep all teams up to date with current issues a customer may be facing.
- Work to streamline and improve various Support and Engineering processes and troubleshooting tools, author new internal run-books or public documentation, and help the team continually improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Participate in our team-wide on-call rotation that may include weekends and holidays or time required outside of normal business hours.
Required Skills and Experience
- 8+ years of previous escalation engineering or technical support experience.
- Mastery of SQL databases and advanced skills with writing, optimizing, or debugging complex SQL queries or workloads. It is expected that you can interpret profiles and explain plans to understand performance and identify any issues.
- A solid Linux devops/sysadmin skill set. That means you are hands-on with Linux and you know three ways to find a file, check utilization of system I/O, measure network throughput, and are comfortable navigating large log files.
- Experience coding in one of the following: C, C++, Java, Python, Go
- Familiarity with distributed systems and AWS/GCP. You understand how organizations deploy and maintain distributed applications and services across multiple machines.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills. Have the ability to explain technical concepts to a wide range of end-users.
Bonus points if you have
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and containerization technologies.
- Previous Linux/Unix system administration experience.
- Previous SQL database administration experience.
- Previous SaaS product support experience
MemSQL is The No-Limits Database™ powering modern applications and analytical systems with a cloud-native, scalable architecture for maximum ingest and query performance at the highest concurrency. MemSQL envisions a world where every business can make decisions in real time and every experience is optimized through data.
Global enterprises use the MemSQL distributed database to easily ingest, process, analyze, and act on data in order to thrive in today’s insight-driven economy. MemSQL is optimized to run on any public cloud or on-premises with commodity hardware. Visit memsql.com or follow us @memsql.
Consistent with our commitment to diversity & inclusion, we value individuals with the ability to work on diverse teams and with a diverse range of people.
To all recruitment agencies: MemSQL does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to MemSQL employees. MemSQL is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with the Company.