Property Accountant ( Commercial)
This is a remote position. We are open to candidates throughout the country who can work from home.
The Company is a privately-held national real estate investment and development firm. To date, The companyhas built, acquired, and developed more than 30 million square feet of commercial and residential space in New York City and around the country. Portfolio includes hotels, shopping centers, multifamily residences, office buildings and industrial parks.
Senior Property Accountant Job Description
The Senior Property Accountant will be responsible for an assigned portfolio of properties/entities. The Senior Property Accountant will report to the firm's Controller. We are looking for a hands-on, detailed oriented individual who will be able to analyze, record, audit and reconcile for a portfolio of hospitality properties at various levels. This position will be mainly focused on hotel properties and their upper tier entities.
This position requires a hands-on self-starter with the ability to take initiative, solve problems, and complete their work with minimal oversight.
Specific responsibilities include :
· Obtain monthly reporting packages from third party managers, including supporting documentation
· Review trial balances and supporting schedules from third party managers for accuracy
· Determine any errors on the balance sheet, including stale accounts, schedules that do not reconcile, or missing information.
· Map and Upload the monthly trial balances into MRI.
· Reconcile the property books to the respective parent entity.
· Prepare monthly accrual journal entries as necessary on an accrual basis
· Prepare monthly financial statements including, income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement
· Develop annual budgets and reforecasts in conjunction with property and asset management
· Coordinate with lenders and company personnel on reserve draws and funding
· Prepare workpapers for submission to outside accounting firms
· Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for parent and upper tier entities
· Track and reconcile the investment in and equity accounts between the properties and their owner entities.
· Update fixed asset schedules, as needed and record monthly depreciation and amortization
· Oversee the cash management at their entities
· Assist in the creation of process for the Hotel Properties
· Assist in the overall oversight of the Hotel Portfolio from an accountant perspective
· Strong command of Balance Sheet audit
· Existing knowledge of MRI preferred
· BS in Accounting from an accredited university/college
· Minimum of 7 Years of real estate accounting experience with a focus on hotel accounting
· Strong attention to detail, must take pride in delivering quality work product
· Experience in a public accounting and REIT setting
· CPA and/or Master in Accounting preferred
· Strong work ethic must be able to see projects through to completion, self-motivated, resourceful and proactive
· Strong analytical ability
· Strong computer skills including Excel (ability to create formulas in excel)
· Ability to learn new computer software quickly
· Strong communication and organization skills
· Ability to work independently, effectively prioritize, and multi-task under pressure
· Ability to think critically
· Strong understanding of how the three financial statements link together, ability to go from cash basis to accrual basis
· Experience in a public accounting setting as an auditor preferred