Language Manager, German ??
With over 300 million users, Duolingo is the world’s most popular language learning platform. We are available in 22 languages, the majority of Duolingo learners speak a native language other than English, and we are rapidly growing our international learner base.
Come join our Globalization team and help us create the best possible user experience for German learners through high quality localization. We are looking for a highly experienced Language Manager to serve as the guardian of Duolingo’s tone, style, and voice in German, and enforcer of quality and excellence in localization.
This is a part-time, contractor role that can be based anywhere in the world.
- Develop and maintain style guides, glossaries, tone and voice of Duolingo in German, in collaboration with relevant product and marketing stakeholders
- Support German copywriting for product experiments and high-impact marketing initiatives
- Help hire, onboard, provide training and feedback to German translators
- Identify gaps or inefficiencies in localization tools and processes, and suggest improvements
- Proofread all translations to ensure they are both accurate and reflect Duolingo’s style guide and requirements
- Ensure localization mistakes or inconsistencies are fixed as quickly as possible
- Be an advocate for German-speaking Duolingo learners! Proactively identify issues and opportunities to improve the German Duolingo experience
- Native fluency in German and full professional fluency in English
- Experience as a Language Manager (or equivalent) for a global consumer technology company
- 5+ years of experience in translating, copy-writing and/or editing for a German audience
- Significant experience in localization of online and mobile products, specifically taking ownership over language quality
- Experience with creative and marketing content creation
- A portfolio of past work to demonstrate your expertise
- Strong business acumen, with proven experience working effectively with cross-functional stakeholders (e.g. engineers, product and marketing teams)
- Strong interest in Duolingo and our mission
- Thrives in a fast-paced, data-driven, team-oriented environment
EXCEPTIONAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- Experience in web/mobile localization workflows and tools
- Culturally clued-in and immersed in trends: you understand what German-speaking consumers care about now
- Experience working as part of a remote team, building strong HQ relationships and advocating effectively for local market needs
- Experience with A/B tests and product experiments
- Highly familiar with mobile gaming, with a deep understanding of game mechanics and/or the gamer community
- Fluency in other language(s), other than German and English