Editorial Senior Art Director
Medium has launched a collection of subscription-based publications that cover a range of subjects with the goal of serving readers, not advertisers. We are looking for a seasoned Art Director who will contribute to the evolving visual identity of these publications, which include GEN (politics) OneZero (technology), Elemental (health) ZORA (Women of color), Forge (personal development), Marker (business and entrepreneurship), and LEVEL (black and brown men).
The right person for this position is someone with a history of demonstrating outstanding taste and vision, creating original, forward-thinking art and photo across a wide range of surfaces. We want a digital-first, energetic, and versatile individual who can think creatively about how stories can be told visually. Originality and a creative, can-do approach toward problem-solving are a must.
The ideal candidate has experience working with editorial, product, social and engineering teams, is a highly effective collaborator, and has an extensive network of illustrators and photographers. This person must be comfortable in a fast-paced, digital startup culture and be ready to get hands-on(and have fun!) helping to grow something new.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide arresting, original, and expressive art direction for daily posts, feature stories, and special projects for multiple publications – across devices, surfaces, and platforms.
- Create story assets in-house to be presented both on and off-platform.
- Work closely across teams(Editorial, Audience Development, Marketing) to elevate and evolve publications’ voices and visual identities.
- Commission original illustration, photo illustration, and photography.
- Lead and execute large-scale Editorial Initiatives.
- Assist in the guidance and direction of a team of Art Directors.
- Contribute expertise in one or more of the following areas: Graphic Design, Illustration, Motion Graphics, Animation.
- Work with the publications’ operations teams to deliver work in a timely and efficient manner.
- Help establish new processes and workflows.
- Be accountable for a budget.
- Be curious and pro-active about exploring new approaches to visual storytelling, as our platform grows and develops over time.
- Bring good ideas to work every day.
Who you are
- You have a minimum of 5+ years of experience working in editorial design.
- You are passionate about typography, design, and photography.
- You have a portfolio that demonstrates an eye for storytelling, concept, composition, color and typography.
- You are proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and Illustrator).
- You are solutions-oriented and a strong communicator.
- You are a team player.
- You are versatile, and comfortable working in a start-up environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day culture.
- You are a positive, straightforward, and effective communicator.
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming.
- You believe that good ideas can come from anywhere.
- You embrace excellence.
Some experience with designing infographics(preferred but not required).
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.
This position can be based in New York, San Francisco, or remote within the U.S.