Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests (make it fun!) and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
We're growing fast: over 250,000 learners have enrolled in classes, and we're doubling our team this year. We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education, and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Now we have a successful, fast-growing business and recently announced $8.5M Series A funding.
We are an effective team of 10 experienced engineers, working with a DevOps mindset and getting a lot done by staying focused on the work that matters. We're iteratively building up a complex product for a highly engaged audience.
We're looking for our first infrastructure engineer. While product engineers are building features for end users, your focus will be to help our team and our systems scale effectively. Upcoming initiatives include: observability and monitoring, build / deploy pipeline optimization, shifting workloads into separate services and deploying some of them to AWS.
Why you should join us:
- Invest your time in a worthwhile mission: inspiring kids to love learning
- Teammates and managers with extensive DevOps experience who understand and value your work
- Collaborative team culture that encourages pairing, iteration, and impact
- Proven, fast-growing marketplace business with millions of dollars in annual revenue, supported by top investors.
We look for candidates who:
- Have been working professionally in DevOps, Infrastructure, or Systems Engineering for at least 5 years.
- Have relevant experience, e.g.: iterating on data pipelines in AWS, tuning and maintaining PostgreSQL, monitoring and observability, build/deploy systems (node, React, webpack, CIrcleCI)
- Prefer simple solutions
- Communicate clearly
- Balance big-picture perspective with attention to detail
- Take responsibility for their work
- Care about learning and education
- Have something to teach us
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.