The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people’s heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world’s knowledge, and we’re building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing, and the platform for businesses to reach our audience, requires a multidisciplinary approach. To deliver our mission, we are designing systems that make knowledge sharing rewarding and discovery easy, while scaling to support the participation of the entire planet. We’re building a diverse team with people of different backgrounds and experiences, empowered to shape strategy.
Our designers leverage what they learn about psychological and social dynamics, communities and networks, and systems and policy design, in addition to more typical design skills. Product design plays a significant role in product strategy and direction – our VP of Design reports directly to our CEO. Working on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems, design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure. We pursue candor, holism, and awareness in our work.
About the Role:
Quora designers are thoughtful generalists. As a product designer, you’ll be responsible for what you design from start to finish: brainstorming solutions, iterating on visuals and interactions however you see fit, and finally implementing your designs in code yourself (no middlemen required!). You work on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems. Your design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure.
- Work on a product team focused on a major, user-facing area of Quora. Identify high-impact opportunities, design features in pursuit of goals, and explain the rationale for your decisions
- Collaborate with engineers to define features and functionality, with other designers for feedback and critique, and with data scientists and user researchers to evaluate the impact of your work
- Design interactions for new features, applying existing design patterns and creating new ones, across our platforms
- Build what you design using React
- Work quickly and effectively on multiple projects. Ship new features, bug fixes, and small improvements multiple times a week
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora’s “coordination hours” (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why
- A portfolio demonstrating relevant design capabilities is required. Applications without portfolios will not be reviewed
- Technical competence with front-end technologies: React, HTML, CSS, JS
- Ability to think at a high level about a complex, social product, and to clearly explain reasons for new features and changes
- Experience building clear, effective interactions to accomplish product or business goals
- Demonstrated visual design skill, especially in the construction of visual hierarchies, and attention to detail on typography, spacing, and color
- Interest in using data and user research to inform design decisions. Experience with effective A/B testing is a plus
- The number of years of professional experience you have isn’t important to us
- Interest or experience in designing for ads, mobile, or user growth is a plus
- Experience with effective A/B testing
- Experience with server-side languages like Python
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.