Copywriter & Editor
WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we've grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
We are looking for a Copywriter & Editor to create snackable copy and engaging stories that bring others along with us on this impactful journey. We want you because you have a values-centered approach to your life and your work. You are ideal for this position because you have professional experience in copywriting and copyediting, with a proven track record in crafting compelling, high-impact, and grammatically sound marketing copy and long-form editorial content for a range of audiences and mediums.
Your position is pivotal in ensuring The Humane League communicates with one unified, professional and persuasive voice. This role is key to creating, and editing, world class, inspiring, emotionally provoking, engaging, behaviour-changing and action-invoking communications. Within this role, you are responsible for generating the powerful words that accompany our visual assets. To start, this position reports to the VP, Communications. This is subject to change as our team grows.
This is a full-time, remote position. This position requires limited travel, equivalent to approximately 2-3 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.
- Ensure we have one, unified voice across the organization by aligning on content you write and edit to our Style Guide.
- Regularly update, and expand our Style Guide as needed, and train other staff members in our Style Guide for consistency across the organization.
- Produce concise, catchy, and grammatically correct content.
- Write and edit compelling, consistent copy across all platforms and mediums—including emails, brochures, advertisements, social media campaigns, videos and more.
- Collaborate with designers and other content creators to write and edit copy in-line with specific goals, layouts, and other considerations on a project-by-project basis.
- Propose copy concepts, present underlying strategic thinking, and incorporate feedback from stakeholders.
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects with short deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Grow, and manage, a new community of freelance writers and editors
- Specific areas of writing & editing include:
- E-mails (e-news, campaign mobilization emails, community-building organizing emails, fundraising emails, and other email series to onboard and engage supporters)
- New website content for new landing pages, campaigns, and other growth initiatives
- Campaigns content (taglines, catch phrases, web copy, petition copy, ads, etc.)
- Digital ads and SMS campaigns
- Development content (quarterly and annual reports, digital and direct mail fundraising appeal—including emails, ads, and print pieces)
- Flagship communications campaigns and projects (brochures, media kit, new marketing campaigns) with an emphasis on telling emotionally engaging and snackable stories about our mission and our shared work
- Blog content (short-form and long-form)
- Superb verbal and written communications skills, with a keen eye for grammar.
- Strength in crafting impactful, editorial stories across short- and long- form content.
- Experience in efficiently producing effective and results-driving copy.
- Experience creating short, snackable marketing copy (that doesn't read like marketing copy).
- Proven ability to think beyond a static piece of content to the larger user journey and experience.
- Foundational experience with search engine optimization (SEO).
- Experience growing, overseeing, and nurturing a team of freelance writers and editors.
- Ability to QA and publish emails and blogs to a CRM and CMS, respectively.
- Proactive self-starter driven to create a notable volume of quality content.
- Highly organized, with a penchant for creating and maintaining clear deadlines and project workflows for writing and editing.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others across teams and different areas of expertise.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in marketing, communications and/or English.
- Expertise in the AP Style Guide.
- Expertise in SEO and improving SERPs.
- Experience in managing content within a CMS platform (e.g. Contentful or WordPress)
- Experience with a CRM platform (e.g. Every Action, Mail Chimp)
- Experience with a Project Management tool (e.g. Asana, Trello)
- Familiarity with design principles, typography, layout, in order to facilitate clear communication with design.
- Experience in Journalism and writing for media.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, companion animal benefits, working from home, flexible holiday and vacation time, room for advancement, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations ([email protected]) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.