Social Media Freelancer (Temporary)
Social Media Freelancer (Temporary)
Founded in 1909, The Newark Museum of Art (“the Museum”) is one of the most influential museums in the United States and the largest art and education institution in New Jersey. Its extensive collections, which include art from around the world as well as significant holdings of science, technology and natural history, rank 12th in size nationally. The Museum is dedicated to artistic excellence, education and community engagement with an overarching commitment to broadening and diversifying arts participation.
A cultural anchor institution in Newark for more than a century, the Museum advances its mission by operating in the public trust as a museum of service, and as a leader in connecting objects and ideas to the needs and wishes of its constituencies. The Museum’s renowned art collections have the power to educate, inspire and transform individuals of all ages, and the local, regional, national and international communities that it serves. In the words of founder John Cotton Dana, “a good museum attracts, entertains, arouses curiosity, leads to questioning and thus promotes learning.” The Museum responds to the evolving needs and interests of the diverse audiences it serves by providing exhibitions, programming, a research library, partnerships and resources designed to enrich people’s lives.
The Museum’s collections are presented in 91 galleries housed on a seven-acre campus that encompasses the Ballantine House, a Victorian-era mansion—a National Historic Landmark, the Dreyfuss Memorial Garden, and Horizon Plaza. The Museum also features the Alice and Leonard Dreyfuss Planetarium as well as the MakerSPACE, a dedicated maker studio and exhibition space that offers interactive, hands-on activities for visitors all ages that integrate the arts with STEM learning.
Under the leadership of its new Director/CEO, Linda Harrison, the Newark Museum is poised for a chapter of transformation, exciting growth and development. The City of Newark is also undergoing a revival of its own.
To provide support for The Newark Museum of Art’s virtual programs through all available Social Media platforms.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Production of digital content for social media, based on programming details provided by the Learning and Engagement team
- Posting of content on social media channels as outlined by overall Marketing strategy
- Monitor engagement, respond to questions/posts in partnership with Digital Content Manager
- Editing short videos
- Promoting upcoming live events on social media
- Upload videos on YouTube
- Supporting livestreaming as required
- Record analytics for social media posts
- Provide recommendations for social media content to Digital Content Manager
- Attend two weekly meetings with Learning & Engagement and Marketing to discuss upcoming digital content/programs
- Work with Rights coordinator to ensure digital media is documented correctly and that any copyright restrictions are adhered to
- Participate in digital events and initiatives as required
- Available to work remotely, and independently when necessary
Salary & Hours:
- $25-40 per hour, based upon level of experience
- 20 hours per week through December 31, 2020
- Education in relevant degree, or with demonstrable experience.
- Excellent writing skills including knowledge of what makes for compelling social media posts.
- Knowledge of the primary social media channels and how they best work together to support specific strategies.
- Experience producing digital content, including photography and video.
- Knowledge of social media analytical tools and how to use these to produce insightful reports.
- Experience working for an arts or heritage organization a plus.
- Experience with livestreaming events a plus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong IT literacy skills.
- Social media skills.
- Photography and videoing skills.
- Ability to edit digital image files and video files.
- Time management skills.
- Project management skills.
- Graphic design skills a plus.
- Ability to organize own work effectively and to establish priorities.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and independently.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Enjoys being creative and generating ideas.
Send letter of application and resume.
The Newark Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Contract
Pay: $25.00 - $40.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
- Social Media Marketing: 1 year (Preferred)
- 5 - 6 months
- One location