Senior Technical Writer
We’re looking for creative, passionate individuals to join our Documentation team to develop and maintain both merchant-facing and internal content that serves a growing community of Shopify merchants, partners, and developers.
The Docs team produces and maintains documentation products such as task and solution-oriented material for merchants within our Shopify Help Center, the developer experience portal comprising API docs and supporting material in our Developers’ hub. They also work on liquid and theme development documentation for partners as well as instructional videos in Shopify Tutorials video library, and internal docs for teams such as Data and Risk & Process Integrity.
Our technical writers love language and ideas, they think information architecture is the coolest thing since the printing press, and they’re totally committed customer advocates. They build relationships all over the company, continuously learn new things, and they channel that knowledge into developing materials that merchants, partners, internal teams, and app developers can use effortlessly.
As a Senior Technical Writer you’ll need to have:
- At least five years of Technical Writing experience.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Regularly built and managed a network of subject matter experts.
- Strong writing skills based on past experience in a writing or editorial role.
- Experience in leading projects.
- A commitment to understanding our audiences’ needs informed by empathy (helping merchants accomplish their goals and build their businesses is our main objective).
- A deep interest in the different ways that people discover and process information.
- High standards, an obsessive eye for detail, and a strong sense of ownership.
- A track record of delivering documentation in a fast-paced environment where requirements and scope can change quickly.
You’ll be working on:
- Helping define and implement content strategy for the team.
- Contributing to decisions that have an impact at various levels inside and outside of Shopify.
- Writing clear, user-centred content for new and updated features, that’s based on feedback, UX research, support data, SME and editorial reviews, and hands-on testing.
- Building relationships across Shopify’s R&D, UX, marketing, and support teams.
- Crushing documentation bugs, correcting errors, and improving problematic content, all with reference to our documentation style guide.
- Participating fully in the life of the team, taking part in discussions, debates, and meetings.
- Mentoring team members at various skill levels.
- Championing projects that have a high degree of complexity with many stakeholders throughout Shopify.
- Learning a ton of new skills and sharing your own.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Familiarity with DITA and structured authoring principles.
- Worked with version control software such as Git.
- Experience working with translated content or internationalization.
If you’d love to join us in our quest to make our merchants’ lives easier and to help their businesses grow, then we want to hear from you. Send us your resume and a cover letter, as well as one or two samples of your written work. Please address your cover letter to Jason Christie.
This posting will close on Thursday, August 6th at 5pm EST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.