Back end Engineer
At Lifebit, we carve our own path. We're open-source pioneers and our driving mission is to revolutionise bioinformatics and biomedical data analysis forever.
Our product, Lifebit CloudOS, is the world’s first federated genomics platform for unified, secure research over distributed big data. No one has anything close. Think best-in-class UI/UX, seamless integration with open-source tools, powerful cohort browser, advanced AI. We’re leading the industry and leaving competitors in the dust. We intend to keep it that way.
While we know our technology is unmatched, we also know we can keep making it greater without an exceptionally strong team to help take it to incredible new heights. (We’ve got some really big plans afoot...).
Our engineering and research team is composed of a mix of software, and bioinformatics, engineers split between Lisbon and London. Software engineers don’t need any prior knowledge or experience in bioinformatics, we solve problems differently to the industry’s standards and favour creative problem-solving. The team in Lisbon (currently 3 engineers) usually visits London for 1 week every 2-3 months.
The different teams’ stack includes:
- Backend: NodeJS, TypeScript, MongoDB
- Infrastructure: Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS
- Frontend: React-Redux
- Machine Learning: Python, Pandas, Sklearn, Tensorflow
- Bioinformatics: Nextflow, Conda, Python, R, Bash, Docker, Singularity
As a Backend Engineer in our team, you will:
- Take a leading role in defining software engineering processes and ways of working, not just coding
- Design and lead backend architecture implementation
- Contribute to features across the entire life cycle, from inception to deployment in production
- Navigate in new code and make sense through what you find
- Pick up new technologies and frameworks that suit the needs of products and users
- Demonstrate an interest in working with best practices and principles while contributing to them, in order to keep high-quality standards and keep hell far away
- Work towards production deployment rapidly, be able to scale and to be monitored easily
- Enable feature improvements and delivery to be updated on a daily basis