Network Communications Manager
Plant Powered Metro New York (PPMNY) was founded in March 2019 to guide and grow the local movement for vibrant health through whole food, plant-based (WFPB) nutrition. PPMNY empowers people to find better health and overcome chronic illness with food, as ample evidence shows that plant-powered eating can prevent and reverse many of today’s common chronic diseases. We offer evidence-based education, resources, and support to create community and inspire change throughout the New York metropolitan area.
Mobilizing a community-driven movement, PPMNY engages dozens of active volunteers hailing from NYC and its surrounding counties. This diverse network focuses on three strategies to achieve our mission:
- Raising awareness about the dramatic health benefits of WFPB nutrition
- Building supportive communities that empower people to make lifestyle changes.
- Organizing and leading projects that spark changes to food policy, practice and culture.
As of fall 2020, PPMNY has three part-time employees, including a communications associate with responsibility for event publicity and design work, as well as social media management. To add to our communications capacity, we now seek a skilled communications and marketing professional to serve as our Network Communications Manager with responsibility for general marketing efforts about the organization, public relations, and special projects. This includes a new focus on virtual content development, especially video-based content.
Immediate responsibilities of this part-time position include:
- Supporting the Network Director in implementing a communications plan.
- Collecting information and writing brief spotlights about our work and impact to share back to our community and funders.
- Creating regular metro-wide e-newsletters (currently bi-monthly but could be more frequent), including writing and posting spotlight sections or assigning them to volunteer contributors.
- Keeping current our collateral/publicity materials for dissemination to the public at fairs and programs, and partnership information for dissemination to prospective community-based organizations.
- Producing virtual PSAs or video series to bring our mission to new audiences online, which may involve coordinating multiple parties to design, record, and edit files.
- Maintaining a unified brand and voice throughout all communications platforms and overseeing our social media presence, as implemented by the Network Communications Associate.
- Keeping the PPMNY website updated with the latest information and new resources created by other PPMNY leaders.
- Work with translators to develop multilingual communications and materials, most immediately in Spanish but may include other languages.
- Overseeing the stocking and dissemination of materials like signs, banners, and handouts for tabling at health fairs, etc., for use throughout the metro area, and coordinating volunteers’ use of these materials.
- Participating in monthly team calls with all volunteers and staff, and other internal meetings with key staff leaders.
Should additional funding be secured, in the future this position may also have the following responsibilities:
- Create and/or implement a media strategy that leverages the voices of both grassroots and clinical leaders in the PPMNY network. This includes engaging key advisors as media ambassadors, proactively reaching out to media outlets, and managing the press and PR needs of the network.
- Implement geographic- or demographic-specific communication plans, materials, and email audiences.
Qualifications of the ideal candidate:
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in the field of marketing, communications, and/or public relations
- Solid communication skills, including attention to detail, graphic design sensibility, writing and proofreading skills, and focus on brand integrity
- Able to work professionally with vendors (designers and others) for special needs and projects
- Able to create and maintain systems and processes that will support our volunteers
- Preferably bilingual in English and Spanish, with equal fluency in both languages
- Able to thrive in a start-up and volunteer-centric work environment, to work with large and shifting teams of volunteers and contributors, and to complete tasks in a timely fashion
- Available to work set hours during the week while also flexibly responding to emergent needs in communications
- Highly reliable and able to prioritize tasks effectively
- Savvy with technology tools including email marketing systems, graphic design software, social media, and more, and willingness to learn
- Passionate about the role of nutrition in health, or willing to learn
This position will report to Lianna Levine Reisner, Network Director of PPMNY.
*Please note that, while this is a remote position, we expect to hire someone who is based in the New York metro area -- NYC and its surrounding counties.