AmeriCorps VISTA Member for Community Development
ABOUT CREATIVITY EXPLORED
For the past 37 years, San Francisco’s Creativity Explored has given artists with developmental disabilities the means to create and share their work with the community, celebrating the power of art to change lives. Since our inception, our studio programming has launched careers for more than 400 artists with developmental disabilities. To date, CE studio artists have earned nearly $2 million from their artwork and have been featured in galleries and museums in 14 countries. Forty staff work at CE, which has a budget of about $3 million and operates two studios, as well as community satellite facilities.
As a VISTA member at Creativity Explored (CE), you will develop, implement and evaluate a strategic partnership plan to support more than 130 San Francisco artists with developmental disabilities. You will co-lead CE’s partnership research, and develop and implement recommendations to best engage partners for community outreach and engagement. Institutional, government and business partners will also be researched and vetted to help fund short and long-term projects.
Community Outreach and Engagement
● Research, vet and evaluate active and prospective partners expanding community outreach and artmaking workshops
● Cultivate a network of artists and community-based organizations to develop a wide array of opportunities for CE artists designed to expand choice, skills, employment and inclusion
● Evaluate and revise CE’s partnership plan based on best practices in the nonprofit and for-profit industries and train staff and board on developed processes
● Assist studio staff to grow and sustain CE’s Imaginate Saturdays public workshops and paid internship programs
● Draft partnership materials (MOUs, proposals, etc)
● Create pitches and presentations for partnership recruitment
● Assist with partnership projects, including gathering artwork samples, tabling events, etc.
● Facilitate activities to further engage partners, i.e. preparing panel discussions, hosting onsite/virtual programming, etc.
● Analyze active partners and determine areas for growth
● Actively work to deepen relationships with partners who have the potential to impact other areas of CE programming
● Engage CE artists in partnerships through person-centered planning efforts
● Train CE staff on developed tools and processes
● Publish a sustainability plan for CE to use after the VISTA year of service
● Research prospective institutional, government and business partners to help fund short and long-term projects
● Draft grant applications and reports for institutional and government funders
● Assist CE’s Development Department with additional partnership cultivation tactics as needed
● Performs any other reasonably-related duties as requested
The VISTA member is expected to work productively in a team environment.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
● Associate’s degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred in social work, public administration, or other related field
● Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Comfortable with public speaking
● Ability to work independently and with a group of diverse individuals, including artists with developmental disabilities, teaching staff and the general public
● Creative thinker and problem solver with attention to detail
● Highly organized and motivated
● Willingness to foster a culture of fundraising by working cooperatively with board members and staff
● Interest, enthusiasm and affinity for Creativity Explored’s mission
● Enthusiasm to learn from and advocate for people with developmental disabilities
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Google Suite (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Drive) required
● Availability on some evenings and weekends as required by job assignments
● Complete and maintain CPR, First Aid, and OSHA certification (initial certification to be completed within 30 days of hire)
● Complete Creativity Explored staff training pertinent to position job responsibilities as assigned
This position is a temporary, full-time position with daytime Monday-Friday hours, and possible weekend hours on occasion.
The position is provided courtesy of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, a national service program designed to alleviate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
Candidates will need to submit a cover letter, resume, and relevant writing sample by September 23rd. Candidates will also need to complete an application through MyAmeriCorps in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
Creativity Explored is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Bilingual/Bicultural individuals, people of color, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.