Director of Development
The Material Innovation Initiative (MII) accelerates the development of next generation sustainable materials for the fashion, automotive, and home goods industries, with a focus on replacing animal-based materials. Sustainability issues, animal welfare concerns, and growing consumer demand combined with recent technology breakthroughs create the ideal scenario for revolutionizing the materials industry.
How You Will Make a Difference
As MII’s Director of Development, you will be responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing our three primary fundraising programs: leadership giving (major gifts); an annual campaign; and corporate and foundation grant seeking. The Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director and the Leadership Team in all development and fundraising endeavors.
As Director of Development, you will be responsible for securing the essential funds that power our work to transform the materials industry by developing and supporting the ecosystem for sustainable and animal-free replacements for leather, wool, silk, down, fur, and exotic skins by:
- Leading and implementing all aspects of MII’s fundraising programs and providing strategic direction to ensure MII’s continued robust growth.
- Building strong, meaningful, long term relationships with our leading individual donors and prospects, working closely with the Executive Director and our Leadership Team to maintain and expand support.
- Developing and executing creative strategies to expand our donor base, ensuring a robust prospect pipeline.
- Developing performance metrics and ensuring these are met.
- Crafting and presenting creative funding proposals, identifying new and unique opportunities for fundraising growth, and preparing compelling personalized progress reports.
- Overseeing and conducting grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Ensuring timely and accurate report deliveries to funders.
- Overseeing the development budget and monitoring expenses.
Who We’re Looking For
The Development Director must have:
- A proven track record of managing a multifaceted development program.
- Experience leading and motivating a team.
- A minimum of five years of previous development or sales experience, preferably including two years in a major gifts officer capacity.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- A willingness to travel throughout the U.S. after development of a Covid-19 vaccine.
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills.
- A capacity to work independently and effectively under the pressure of deadlines.
- An upbeat, engaging personality that will attract new supporters to invest in our mission and the ability to consistently motivate current donors to maintain and increase their support.
- Comfort working remotely and in a growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for MII’s philosophy and mission.
- Preference given to those with a certification from Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Certified Fundraiser Executives (CFRE), or equivalent.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.