General position overview:
The Center seeks a detail-oriented, motivated and highly effective communicator to join our development team as Grant Writer. Under direction of the Chief Development Officer — and in conjunction with other members of the team, including the Major Gifts Officer and another Grant Writer — the Grant Writer will aid our efforts to increase foundation funding revenues.
Preference will be given to applicants located in Tucson, Arizona, but consideration will also be given to strong candidates willing to work in other locations where the Center has an established office.
- Seek dedicated funding for the Center’s programs from private foundations and other sources by researching and devising approaches, including calls and visits to prospective funders.
- Work with program staff to draft persuasive grant proposals, letters of inquiry and reports and ensure timely submission to funders; manage grants-related administrative tasks, recordkeeping and correspondence; maintain current data on and keep abreast of the Center’s work as background information for proposals and reports;
- Research funding opportunities
- Maintain a tracking system to monitor the status of grant proposals and reports, including submissions, responses, renewals and reporting requirements.
Essential qualifications and skills desired:
- Experience writing grant proposals, reports, donor correspondence and/or marketing materials in a nonprofit environment, particularly within the environmental conservation funder community.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- The ability to quickly comprehend, analyze and synthesize information.
- The ability to communicate well and in a professional manner with a variety of co-workers and foundation personnel.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- A demonstrated interest in and knowledge of environmental conservation issues.
- A bachelor’s degree.