Overview of the Business
What do you do and how do you make your money?
In 2006, the Federal Action Task Force (FATF) introduced regulation which ensured that any company that is involved in the transaction of money between two parties is required to perform the necessary Know Your Customer (KYC) checks on their clients which in turn allows them to understand the type of clients they do business with and manage their money laundering and terrorism financing risk.
Member Check is an online Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Counter Terrorism Financing (CTF) Service. We specialise in Politically Exposed Person (PEP)/Sanction and adverse media screening. In simple terms we provide a platform whereby our clients can screen their own clients/applicants and identify whether or not they are a PEP or Sanctioned individual.
Member Check makes its money by charging its clients a transactional cost for each name that is screened through the Member Check service.
How do customers currently buy from your business?
Currently Member Check does not have an automated onboarding process, this means that customers would need to send us an inquiry and one of our Sales representatives would get in touch with them and try to convert them. Moving forward we would want to design an onboarding process which allows for clients to sign up and start using the service then and there without having to interact with a Sales representative.
What makes your business unique within the marketplace?
Member Check has been in the AML/CTF space since 2008. As an experienced technology company, we have used the best data that is currently available and built an interface which AML compliance officers can use to streamline their onboarding process and easily manage their risk. Member Check’s service is cost effective and allows companies to comply with regulation without having to spend a lot of money to do so. Our ability to quickly adapt our service to new legislation is another factor which makes us unique within the marketplace.
Objectives of Design Project
Member Check was created in 2008, and since then the product’s design interface has not changed much. The objective of this design project is to re-imagine the Member Check product and create an application that is thoughtful, simple, beautiful, clever, practical, functional and streamlined for customers.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
– Leonardo Da Vinci
The user interface and experience should reflect this to present a well balanced application that is leading edge, simple, clever, usable, and aesthetically pleasing and in line with modern design practices.
We want the application to be easy to use, relaxing to look at, and create as smooth a process as possible for customers to complete their tasks in a timely manner. The tasks carried out by customers on the system can be boring and tedious, therefore having as little friction and introducing as much joy and relaxation to the application is one of the key objectives.
The user interface should also help Member Check stand out from the crowd and create an air of trust and professionalism.
Target Audience and Market
Member Check’s target audience are AML/CTF compliance officers who are generally aged between 30 – 50 years. Member Check targets designated services, designated services include a range of business activities in the financial services, including bullion, gambling and digital currency exchange sectors. Entities that provide any of these services are reporting entities. Reporting entities have obligations under the AML/CTF Act.
Member Check focuses on these types of entities that require comprehensive due diligence processes and reporting functionality. Some of our clients are from the following industries: Superannuation, real estate, money remittance and legal services.
Our clients are located all over the world spanning from Oceania, Europe, Asia, North America, and Africa, where English may not be the first language.
Problems We Are Facing
· Member Check has an “old school” looking user interface, whilst some clients suggest that it is very intuitive and makes sense, a vast majority of our clients believe that our interface is dated and certain workflows or features do not necessarily make sense i.e. parameter settings, scanning requirements, member numbers, batch scan sample files, due diligence process.
· New users to the system are encouraged to go through Training or reviewing Demo videos for the proper use of the system creating additional friction to the customer onboarding experience.
· No onboarding process means more of a manual process to sign up and become a client.
· No Feedback loop: clients may have suggestions on how we can improve our service but have no platform or avenue to suggest for these changes to happen. These are currently done ad-hoc and initiated by the Account Manager.
· The workflows are not continuous and may not make sense to someone who is new to using the service. Generally, preliminary training is required.
· No dashboard to view analytics on client's usage of the system or quick access links to tasks and information.
· Buttons, theme, and design is quite old and needs to be improved and updated.
· UI can be cluttered creating potential confusion and lack of direction and clear functionality.
· UI is not responsive and does not scale when viewed on mobile devices.
Project Specific Information
The Member Check application was previously designed and built on a .NET framework and was not easy to change the design elements.
Moving forward, Member Check is redesigned to separate the abstract layers between the backend functionality, and frontend user interface. This provides the opportunity for increased flexibility to improve and update the design and user interface elements of the application.
Member Check has purchased a new design template which can be found at the following link:.
Keeping this information in mind we would like you to re-imagine Member Check’s user interface and design an interface which is unique, innovative, modern, clever, practical, functional and looks professional and aesthetically pleasing. This interface will help future-proof the application for the next 3-5 years.
The Member Check team are open to various modern designs including neumorphism.
Although our clients come from all over the world where English may not be the first language, the Member Check system is only provided in the English language. Therefore, the design should take into consideration universal icons, colours, and symbolism, where possible, as well as simplified English.
· Support both light and dark themes to allow the user to select a mode to suit their environment and working conditions
· Appropriately sized text and styles for different purposes for ease of visibility and emphasis of important information
· Immersive 3-D or animation of user interactions to allow the user to easily and quickly understand concepts and functionality
· Innovative data visualisation. Information should be presented logically to assist users to quickly understand the data presented to them
· Non-intrusive comprehensive guide and help for new users without affecting the flow and effectiveness for advanced users.
· Utilise Star Admin Pro template and maintain a similar workflow to the current workflow. We will work closely with you to understand the system and the workflows which we want to retain as is)
· The user interface should be responsive and appropriate for desktop and mobile devices.
Information on the proportion of devices, screen resolutions and operating system types are included for your consideration.
·(Sister Company to Member Check)
Design and UI implementation to be completed end of 2020.
To be negotiated on
Please provide the following for consideration:
· A written response to the brief, especially highlighting where you have done work and designed for large volume structured data and workflows
· Examples of relevant work (e.g. links or portfolio page - Dribbble etc)
· Indication of ability to meet the timeframe
· Testimonials from clients (optional)
Please send your responses via email to the Project Contact below by October 30, 2020.