Head of Global Communications
OneSky envisions a world where all vulnerable children are valued and when loved and helped to flourish, will one day be part of the solution for a better world.
Founded in 1998, OneSky is a global NGO that teaches communities and caregivers to provide nurturing, responsive care and early education to children living in marginalised communities such as welfare institutions, rural villages, industrial zones and urban slums in China, Mongolia and Vietnam. Through the OneSky Approach, we create systemic change in the way communities care for their children. Over the past twenty years, we have impacted the lives of more than 210,000 children and trained 58,000 caregivers.
Please visit our website, onesky.org, to learn more about our work and impact.
OneSky is seeking a dynamic and exemplary Head of Global Communications to tell OneSky’s story to the world through compelling written and visual communications. The aim is to engage, inspire and convert our stakeholders while reinforcing our reputation and enhancing organisational culture.
This new role is part of OneSky’s global development team. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer based in Hong Kong, the Head of Global Communications will oversee a mid-size team of content and creative professionals. Ideally, the candidate would be based near OneSky’s teams in either San Francisco, Los Angeles or Hong Kong.
This role requires outstanding and demonstratable creative writing skills. As OneSky’s chief story teller, writer and editor, this role directs and shapes OneSky’s positioning, messaging, content and social strategies, all the while determining the best channels for distribution to reach OneSky’s most desired audiences. In addition, the candidate would have experience in media relations, digital marketing and brand management. This is desirable but not essential.
Ensuring the highest standards in communications across OneSky’s assets, the Head of Global Communications will be creative, compassionate and, as an advocate for marginalised children, highly motivated to bring the OneSky story to the world. The candidate will possess a positive outlook, be adaptable, resourceful, results orientated and comfortable working in a fast-paced global environment. Experience in working across cultures, languages and time zones will ensure the Head of Global Communications unites and nurtures an inclusive, equitable and diverse communications team.
- Prepare and execute the annual communications strategy to promote OneSky’s vision and mission to stakeholders, building awareness, securing engagement and driving commitment from donors, NGO partners, governments, the OneSky board and employees.
The communications strategy will encompass the following elements:
- Develop and execute a content strategy that ensures the creation of compelling written and visual content to clearly communicate OneSky’s work and impact.
- Conceptualise, write and edit OneSky stories, social media posts, speeches, video scripts, donor communications and other content pieces, ensuring OneSky messaging and voice is consistent and shines through.
- Execute against a content/editorial calendar, to ensure the content team publish timely, relevant and impactful content across our digital channels.
- Work closely with the Creative Services team to oversee the conception and delivery of compelling visual content assets including photographs and film that demonstrate the impact of OneSky’s programs.
- Oversee the OneSky global website, updating as necessary, to ensure an engaging environment for current and potential donors/supporters.
- Develop a social media strategy to promote OneSky across owned and paid social channels or third-party websites, managing content, images, and paid posts.
- Develop meaningful metrics to measure OneSky’s digital and social engagement, adjusting content frequency, length and topics accordingly.
Media Relations & Third-party Partnerships
- Seek out appropriate media opportunities or partnerships with mainstream media, global ECCE media, philanthropy platforms, etc. to leverage awareness for OneSky globally.
- Develop creative media angles/pitches to promote OneSky personnel, OneSky programs and our impact to targeted audiences.
- Assist in securing and stewarding OneSky Ambassadors and Key Opinion Leaders in the US and Asia, to help highlight our work to their followers.
- Champion and preserve the OneSky brand working closely with the relevant teams to develop marketing materials. These include impact reports, the OneSky Annual Report, brochures, posters, films, supporter newsletters, supporter campaigns etc.
- Work with OneSky’s Creative Services team to ensure our materials uphold our brand attributes and values and are always of the highest design standard. Assist with the annual review of the OS Brand Guidelines, recommending changes as required.
- Support the OneSky leadership team with employee engagement initiatives including internal announcements, Town-Hall presentations, staff newsletters etc.
- Suggest proactive initiatives to engage a culturally and geographically diverse staff.
Team Management & Reporting
- Manage a diverse and remote team of content and creative professionals located in Asia and the United States.
- Conduct weekly and monthly team meetings to ensure the team is kept abreast of OneSky’s programs and operations.
- Conduct annual performance reviews.
- Submit a weekly report on team activities.
Qualifications & Skills
- Native English speaker and writer with outstanding creative writing skills.
- Extensive experience in content marketing with a demonstratable portfolio of writing.
- Demonstratable experience in developing a social media strategy, social media content and measuring and analysing social engagement.
- Previous work in the NGO sector managing a team of communicators is highly desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, WordPress, and social media publishing.
- At least 15 years professional work experience.
Salary & Benefits
OneSky compensates staff commensurate with experience, providing good benefits. Benefits may vary depending on the location of the role.
Tell us why you would like to become OneSky’s new Head of Global Communications! Forward your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in this role. Please outline your experience, what you would bring to the role and provide samples of your professional writing.
Friday, October 9 – Friday, November 6, 2020
Please send your applications toand include the job title in the subject line.
OneSky will short list candidates for interview following the closure of the application period. We will endeavour to respond to all applicants where possible. Final candidates will be required to complete a number of writing exercises, to demonstrate style and skill.
OneSky is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about OneSky visit onesky.org