Centre for Independent Living, known as CILT, is a consumer-controlled, community-based resource organization. We help people with disabilities learn Independent Living skills and integrate into the community.
CILT operates on the philosophy of the Independent Living movement which was developed in response to traditional rehabilitation services models.
CILT's aim is to develop and implement dignified social services that empower individuals rather than create dependencies. We encourage people with disabilities to take control of their own lives by exercising their right to examine options, make choices, take risks and even make mistakes.
CILT has a full-time employment opportunity for an Operations Assistant to provide customer service to consumers and the public by phone, e-mail and in person (when we return to our office). You also play a key role in administering CILT’s PSW training fund and the collecting of organizational statistics. We are a small but mighty three-person Operations Team where excellent interpersonal skills, a strong customer service ethic, a keen attention to detail, and a willingness to pitch in to get things done are keys to success.
- Triage or respond to inquiries from consumers and the public
- Ensure a professional atmosphere and smooth flow of visitor traffic at reception
- Provide operations support to CILT departments such as intake and delivery of mail and faxes
PSW training fund
- Work with HR/Operations Manager, Executive Director and Committee to administer PSW training fund
- Administer annual program cycle of outreach, application processing, distribution of funds and reporting
- Administer PSW training email and liaise with participating agencies
- Administer PSW training database
Administrative and Operations accountabilities
- Update CILT’s website through Word Press
- Compile monthly organizational statistics
- Assist with CILT’s annual audit and Annual General Meeting
- Member of staff social committee
- Oversee the day-to-day maintenance of the kitchen
- Provide office, event and project support as reasonably assigned
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in an administrative role
- Strong customer service focus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- High degree of flexibility and ability in terms of task assignments
- Positive and proactive; able to trouble shoot and propose solutions
- Demonstrated integrity and mature judgment
- Keen attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, especially Excel (knowledge of Access is an asset); ability to adapt to new technology
- Able to work well independently and collaboratively with other staff
- Lived experience or a deep understanding of the IL philosophy and/or service navigation (a strong asset)