Energy Project Manager
Scope of Position: CVSC seeks a highly motivated person with experience in energy policy, advocacy, and communications for a project management position focused on clean energy campaigns. The position will oversee various campaigns at the state, federal, and utility regulatory level. The right candidate will be a self-starter with excellent written and oral communications skills, demonstrated experience initiating projects and advancing them successfully, and have a strong belief in and passion for the mission of CVSC. The position reports to the Campaigns Director, coordinating with the Deputy Director and CVSC team.
Location: Based in South Carolina, with option for remote working. CVSC has a physical office in Columbia, but during COVID work is done remotely. Post-COVID, occasional day and overnight travel will be required.
- Creates and implements effective, multi-pronged campaign plans aimed at an ambitious, effective, and equitable transition to clean energy in SC;
- Builds and maintains a diverse set of positive working relationships, collaborating and coordinating with policy experts, partner organizations, lobbyists, consultants, community leaders, businesses, and grassroots organizers on electric utility resource planning, regulation, legislation related to renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy poverty and other policies;
- Develops and manages communications for energy campaigns, including messaging, media, and digital communications (emails, social media, website updates, ads); provides quotes, pitches stories, and builds relationships with the press. Develops and organizes educational, engagement, and advocacy events related to clean energy;
- Ability to professionally represent CVSC in written and oral communications;
- Serves as the primary policy resource at CVSC for energy topics, providing campaign updates, message guidance, talking points, factsheets, policy insights and briefings, and other necessary campaign materials to CVSC staff, partners, and advocates.
- May serve as registered lobbyist for CVSC in order to provide clear and consistent information to elected leaders. The Project Manager is also expected to perform other duties as needed in accordance with the successful operation of a non-profit organization.
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- A passion for conservation and environmental efforts to protect our air, land, and water.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion - a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills, ability to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner in person and over the telephone
- Strong attention to detail, fast and willing learner, strong organizational skills and ability to follow up and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well within a team and with individuals, both internal and external, from diverse backgrounds.
- Cultural competence - Shares our commitment to increasing racial justice and equity in our movement and organization, integrating these principles into all of the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Interest in environmental and/or political advocacy.
- Proficiency and substantial experience with standard office productivity software and equipment; ability to read, process, and synthesize printed materials on paper or standard computer screen.
- Knowledge and understanding of clean energy issues and the types of policies used to advance clean energy at the state and federal level, with a focus on the energy issues facing low and middle income households and environmental justice communities.
Education and Experience:
(Required) Bachelor’s degree in energy policy, communications, political science, environmental policy, or other relevant field and two or more years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, with a preference for
- Experience with digital communications, marketing, media relations, and/or social media
- Experience working within and building diverse coalitions to accomplish shared goals
- Experience working in politics, campaigns, or advocacy.
Work environment: This is a leanly-staffed, fast-paced organization whose staff has enthusiasm for the mission and tasks of CVSC. We are seeking another effective, productive, enjoyable and highly ethical member of the team who will take responsibility and leadership for implementing assigned tasks.
Terms of employment: The position is full-time, contingent on continued funding (grants and individual donations). This includes a 40- hour workweek with the need for flexible scheduling, depending on the nature of an issue or timeframe. Occasional out of town travel will be required.
CVSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.
Salary/Benefits: CVSC offers a competitive non-profit sector salary for this position in the $37,000 - $45,000 range, depending on qualifications. CVSC also offers a robust benefits package that includes full health, vision, dental, and disability insurance, retirement contributions, and generous vacation and state holiday schedules.
Application Instructions: Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses how your expertise matches the job description and why you want to work to protect the air, land, and water of South Carolina to email@example.com with Energy Project Manager in the subject line. The position will remain open until filled.