VIA seeks a part-time Program Director with vision, extensive networks in the Asia-Pacific Region, and training experience to lead programming for students and professionals. The Program Director reports directly to and works with the Executive Director to drive the development of VIA’s initiatives and participant experiences in Asia and the US through experiential programs and ongoing community engagement. The goal of the position is to provide programmatic content leadership, coordination of participant engagement, and oversight in developing new programs in line with our strategic plan.
The ideal candidate will have a background in international education, experience with international exchange programs, demonstrated experience living and working in Asia, and professional contacts across the region.
Primary Duties / Responsibilities
- Program Design & Implementation (35%)
- Program Logistics (20%)
- Participant Recruitment & Enrollment (15%)
- Partnership Development & Communication (10%)
Secondary Duties / Responsibilities
- Organizational Development (10%)
- Alumni/Supporter Engagement (10%)
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities - Required
- Commitment to VIA’s mission to provide innovative experiential learning programs that promote cross-cultural understanding, build partnerships, and offer transformative experiences for our participants.
- Excellent detail-oriented, multi-tasking, logistical skills in planning programs and travel.
- Effective cross-cultural communicator with excellent verbal communications skills and writing skills for professional correspondence.
- Experience leading international education programs.
- Experience working with students and young professionals.
- Experience with social media for outreach and promotion purposes.
- Work or education experience in Asia, especially East and Southeast Asia.
- Excels as a trainer, facilitator, teacher, or mentor.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends during programs and other travel periods.
- California resident.
- Legal right to work in the United States.
- Valid passport and ability to travel as needed to Asia, occasionally to remote areas.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with business and technology applications, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office, Salesforce, SurveyGizmo, Slack, Airtable, Canvas, Crew, Smore, Zoom, and Concur.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities – Preferred
- Formal program design and monitoring and evaluation training.
- Experience with risk management, emergency response coordination, and travel due diligence.
- Experience leading or managing a team.
- Coaching or counseling experience and demonstrated experience handling sensitive or confidential information.
- Graduate degree in a relevant field such as international relations, international development, education, international education management, Asia Studies, etc.
- Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, Burmese, or Vietnamese language skills.
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular and consistent attendance and the ability to sit and work with hands and arms for at least 4 hours per day and 5 days per week, and not to exceed 24 hours a week.
- Physical ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, walk, crawl, push, and pull items weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Work overtime occasionally.
- Have consistent and reliable attendance.
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills in English.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in English written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Meet daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly, and other deadlines consistently.
- Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
- Communicate effectively and promptly to clients or employees of the organization.
- High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment.
- Auditory and visual skills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
This is a remote position with required domestic and international travel. The Program Director will be also be required to attend occasional in-person meetings in the San Francisco Bay Area. (Note: During shelter-in-place, employees will not be asked to travel or attend in-person meetings.)