About California Volunteers:
California Volunteers, Office of the Governor is the state office tasked with engaging Californians in service, volunteering and civic action to tackle our state’s most pressing challenges while lifting up all communities.
From the California Climate Action Corps, the country’s first statewide climate corps program, to the #CaliforniansForAll service initiative launched in response to COVID-19 to establish a volunteer corps to support the state’s response to emergencies and disasters, California Volunteers plays an integral role in tackling the state’s problems.
Led by the state’s Chief Service Officer, Josh Fryday, California Volunteers is supported by a bipartisan 25-member Commission and a team of experts driven by a mission to empower and mobilize all Californians to volunteer and serve in their communities.
The AmeriCorps Program Officer works under the supervision of the Deputy Director of AmeriCorps. The Program Officer is responsible for a portfolio of AmeriCorps programs that provide service in a variety of sectors, ensuring grant monitoring and program quality, assisting with the implementation, coaching, and training of these programs throughout the state.
30% Grant Monitoring and Program Quality
· Serves as the primary point of contact for current or potential grantees on all grant related activities for assigned portfolio of programs in a timely manner;
· Oversees and manages the programmatic, technical, and administrative components of grants management or program development for assigned portfolio throughout the grant life cycle;
· Provides technical assistance and program development guidance to current or potential grantees throughout the grant life cycle, ensuring all aspects are carried out in compliance with state and federal program policies and guidance. Escalates complex issues to the Senior Manager of Programs as needed;
· In consultation with the Senior Manager of Programs and Compliance Manager, relays legal and regulatory requirements for programmatic management of state and federal grants to grantees;
· Maintains grant oversight by ensuring timely, accurate, and complete submission of all reporting requirements, to include Performance Progress Reports;
· Conducts grant monitoring and program quality assurance activities including program-readiness support, check-in calls, site visits, progress report reviews, etc.
· Review and verify accuracy of AmeriCorps program design and application, ensuring all aspects meet CV and federal standards;
· Assist/coach assigned programs to success, including tracking and analyzing grantee performance data;
· Liaises with the Compliance Monitoring Team and grantee program staff to implement corrective action plans to ensure compliance and accountability with all applicable state and federal laws, program policies, rules and regulations and progress towards desired outcomes, identifying opportunities for staff or grantee training to drive program improvements;
· Support programs to ensure timely resolution and documentation of all program quality issues;
· Under the leadership of senior management staff, fosters collaborative relationships and knowledge sharing with CV funded partners;
· Keeps the Senior Manager of Programs and other CV leadership staff apprised of opportunities and challenges related to portfolio management;
· Maintains knowledge and understanding of state and federal regulations and grant terms and conditions that govern AmeriCorps grants to support program implementation;
· Provides input on program successes and challenges, including conducting grantee performance review and assessment, providing relevant information to programs, CV management, federal agencies, Commissioners, and other stakeholders, as needed;
· Prepares written and verbal reports of completed grant monitoring activities, findings, and results, including recommending appropriate resolution to address program quality issues;
· Ensures necessary records, files, reports, databases, and resource materials pertinent to program activities are maintained; and
· Collaborates with fiscal staff on issues related to grant status and subgrantee monitoring.
30% Program Support and Training
· In collaboration with the Program and Compliance teams, provides training and technical assistance to assigned programs and program staff;
· Coaches and supports programs to ensure meaningful program impacts and member service experiences by establishing performance growth targets in partnership with program staff;
· Links programs to peer coaching/mentoring and the exchange of best practices and resources;
· Assists with the development of in-person and webinar training resources;
· Presents and facilitates training at conferences, webinars, and meetings; and
· Attends regional and national meetings as requested.
25% Grant Review
· Participates in AmeriCorps grant application review for new or current grantees as needed, including providing written recommendations to inform funding decision-making; and
· Completes and incorporates grantee performance review and assessment into grant review
10% Support for Communications and Storytelling Efforts
· Collaborate with other department staff to help amplify and elevate service;
· Serve as the point-of-contact/liaison between programs and the Communications Department to support outreach, engagement, and storytelling/impact reporting;
· Provide collateral materials to support the sharing of impacts and reports for public and private sector briefings, events, etc.;
· Support event logistics, providing photos, video, etc. for use on California Volunteers’ social media platforms and in print and digital media.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
· Serves on teams and working groups tasked with developing or revising guidelines, policies, and processes on program delivery, monitoring, compliance, data analysis, performance management, risk assessment and related operational goals and objectives;
· May include special projects, such as Governor’s Initiatives, Leadership Summit planning, and new program support and development.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Computer literate
- Analytical skills
- Experience implementing direct service programs, particularly nonprofit
- Experience developing training curricula
- AmeriCorps alumni encouraged to apply
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work an irregular often demanding schedule with occasional travel
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time, particularly those that are high-profile and time-sensitive
This position's location is not limited to Sacramento, California. California Volunteers' office is located in Sacramento. However, California Volunteers will accommodate applicants who wish to work remotely temporarily as a result of COVID-19, or permanently. Therefore, California Volunteers will consider applicants throughout the state who are interested in this position.