CALIFORNIA CLIMATE ACTION CORPS DIRECTOR
About California Volunteers:
California Volunteers, Office of the Governor is the state office tasked with engaging Californians in service, volunteering and civic action to tackle our state’s most pressing challenges while lifting up all communities.
From the California Climate Action Corps, the country’s first statewide climate corps program, to the #CaliforniansForAll service initiative launched in response to COVID-19 to establish a volunteer corps to support the state’s response to emergencies and disasters, California Volunteers plays an integral role in tackling the state’s problems.
Led by the state’s Chief Service Officer, Josh Fryday, California Volunteers is supported by a bipartisan 25-member Commission and a team of experts driven by a mission to empower and mobilize all Californians to volunteer and serve in their communities.
Under the leadership of the Chief Program Officer, the California Climate Action Corps Director will lead the California Climate Action program, the country’s first statewide climate corps, building the state infrastructure to support critical climate programs in California. Leveraging a collective impact model and strategy, the California Climate Action Corps Director leads the state investment into the California Climate Action program, just recently announced by the Governor. Through this new and exciting initiative, all Californians can participate in a spectrum of service opportunities to support a variety of climate action goals and objectives.
50% California Climate Action Project Management
· Develop a statewide strategy to launch California Climate Action projects, focused on leveraging service and volunteerism to engage Californians around climate change and environmental stewardship.
· Collaborate with staff across California Volunteers’ departments to build efforts to engage Californians in the California Climate Action program.
· Supervise staff efforts to launch the California Climate Action service initiative.
· Lead the development of programming for the California Climate Action program, including managing the initiative, working with service partners and corporate partners to ensure a robust climate service initiative, and providing updates and data/impacts related to the initiative.
30% California Climate Action Partnership Development
· Build connections with nonprofits and local governments on climate-related projects and initiatives.
· Conduct research on the development of the California Climate Action service initiative, including best practices, service models, and volunteer and service engagement.
15% California Climate Action Impact Reports
· Provide updates and periodic reports to California Volunteers’ leadership and the California Volunteers Commission.
· Provide reports and updates to support internal and external communications around the California Climate Action program.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
· Provide support and assistance on other duties pertaining to volunteerism, service strategies, etc. as they arise.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years progressively responsible experience in climate change/environmental stewardship programming
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time, particularly those that are high-profile and time-sensitive
- Excellent working knowledge of the environmental stewardship/climate change mitigation field, best practices, and key partners
- Experience developing and maintaining complex partnerships
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to travel occasionally and work an irregular and sometimes demanding schedule