Social Services Manager
About the Organization:
The organization exists to break the generational cycle of poverty for Latino immigrants and their families by lifting barriers to their success. Canal Alliance is a nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment.
Canal Alliance is seeking a Social Services Manager to join its Immigration and Social Services team. This role ensures that all clients receive appropriate social services, including information, referrals advocacy, basic needs, financial literacy education, and housing. The Social Services Manager supervises the delivery of services and oversees the development and maintenance of the services program—including program policies and procedures, assessment and intervention tools. The manager reports directly to the Senior Social Services Manager, works within a committed multidisciplinary team, and supervises case managers
- Responsible for overseeing case management to individuals experiencing multiple challenges. Services offered include immediate needs, information about community resources, referrals and advocacy to assist clients in accessing local services.
- Develop assessments for clients in the following areas: income, housing, education, work readiness and access to immigration legal services.
- Ensure staff assesses and documents if clients are interested in and eligible for a long-term commitment to attaining English fluency, legal status, and/or the next level of education.
- Work with community members and other stakeholders to identify necessary programs and services
- Analyze data to determine the effectiveness of programs
- Work closely with the immigration legal services team to stay up to date with policy changes and update our services accordingly
- Serve as Canal Alliance representative at inter- and intra-agency meetings as needed
- Work directly with clients, as needed and/or in emergency situations
1. Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Education and Experience
- Masters Social Work (MSW) degree, or Masters in Public Health Programs (MPH) preferred
- Knowledge and experience in supervision and management
- 2+ years supervising staff preferred
- 3+ years of previous work experience in social work or a similar occupation
Qualifications- Skills and Knowledge
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity and an ability to work effectively with low-income immigrants
- Proficiency in community resources, public social service and assistance programs
- Demonstrated proficiency in casework principles and techniques
- Bilingual in Spanish/English (strongly preferred)
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Highly skilled in active listening, empathy, client centered, strength-based case management
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Ability to function with minimal supervision, follow directions, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and manage stressful situations effectively
- Ability to get along with people and establish cooperative working relationships with staff at all levels both within and outside the department
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Strong technical skills, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel) and case management software