Law for Black Lives is seeking a full time Membership Coordinator to start in November, 2020.The right candidate will have the opportunity to work directly with Law for Black Lives staff, radical lawyers, legal workers, law students, legal formations and partners across the country. The ideal candidate will have excellent experience with supporting member based organizations and leveraging the power of those networks towards change. We are looking for individuals who are creative and passionate about liberation to work with organizations who are a part of the Movement for Black Lives.
The Membership Coordinator will work closely with the Membership Director and L4BL staff to support the roll out of our membership programs in 2021 and be largely responsible for ensuring that members are successfully onboarded and are able to access the benefits of membership. The ideal candidate is a motivated, entrepreneurial individual with excellent communication skills who is passionate about building and growing member based organizations. This person will need to balance the long term goals of growing and strengthening our membership with being flexible and responsive to the needs of movement organizations and members.
- Co-create political education and orientation materials for members including, downloadable digital content, guides, toolkits, and webinars.
- Work with the Membership Director and staff to orient and onboard new members to the network.
- Plan and coordinate membership events, quarterly meetings and programs both virtual and in-person.
- Provide support and thought partnership for specialized membership programs like strategy groups, affinity groups, Black Radical Lawyers Book Club, conferences, fellowships and others as needed.
- Communicate regularly with Membership Director and Executive Director to assess and meet the needs of our members.
- Respond to member inquiries and questions about enrollment, dues and benefits.
- Manage member enrollment in our virtual network space, ensuring all members have access.
- Regularly update content in the network site including calendar, resources and calls to action.
- Manage Law for Black Lives info inbox and route requests to appropriate staff members.
- Thought partnership and support for collaborative projects as needed to meet the goals of the organization.
- Build relationships with lawyers, legal workers, law students, legal formations and legal service providers from across the country to ensure that the legal needs of movement organizations can be met.
- Strive to bring the values of Law for Black Lives into practice.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A person who brings passion and enthusiasm for the work of supporting Black-led movement organizations.
- 1 to 2 years of related professional experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Relevant experience working with member-based organizations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop relationships with staff, partners and members, remotely or in-person.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with an eye for detail and the ability to adhere to deadlines.
- Deep commitment to and enthusiasm for Law for Black Lives.
- Willingness to understand and engage with Law for Black Lives politics (including Black Queer Feminism, prison industrial complex Abolition, and movement lawyering).
- Willingness to learn new skills and take on new responsibilities as needed.
- Possess good problem solving and analytical skills.
- Experience with Salsa Labs, Sales Force, or other CRM systems (preferred).
- Experience or knowledge of digital campaign organizing (desired).
- Experience organizing legal support or legal services for rapid response (desired).
Position: Full time employee. 40+ hours per week
Location: Remote. When COVID-19 travel restrictions are lifted and it is safe to travel again this position will require travel.
Start Date: November 2020
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume and references in one single file ( Word or PDF) towith “MEMBERSHIP COORDINATOR, LAST NAME/FIRST NAME” in the subject line no later than Friday, October 18th.