Director of Product
The Director of Product will champion the strategy, execution, delivery, and growth for APDS’s platform and digital products that will accelerate APDS’s position as the transformative provider of digital education and programming services for justice-involved individuals. Reporting directly to the CEO and working closely with the senior leadership team, the Director will build, lead, manage, and mentor a team of product owners.
The Director of Product will translate the business strategy and vision from our leadership team into an execution-ready product strategy, incorporating an empathetic understanding of our end-users and customers. The Director of Product will ensure that APDS prioritizes, builds, and delivers our product suite in a cohesive and timely manner resulting in significant growth and traction of our solution in Departments of Corrections, Jails, Parole, Probation and alternatives to incarceration across the country.
As APDS is growing, we are looking for an experienced leader who will roll up her/his sleeves and achieve the following outcomes:
- Synthesize and refine the product strategy resulting in a robust product roadmap with clear timelines and delivery dates that are clearly understood internally and externally
- Drive the overall product roadmap that results in significant increases in product adoption and renewal
- Expand and refine the product offering that results in increased levels of user engagement and success in achieving measurable outcomes from use of the APDS platform
- Drive the product life cycle, managing a dynamic product roadmap that is responsive to the market opportunities and disciplined in achieving our longer term product vision
- Build, lead, manage, and mentor a small (and growing) team of product owners
- Develop high-quality documentation processes, including requirements, release notes, product training, user support, and sales support materials
- Work closely with customers (end-users and Departments of Corrections) to understand their requirements and needs and communicate APDS’s product vision
- Collaborate deeply with the Technology team to transform the vision and requirements into scalable solutions
- Engage extensively with the Sales team to coordinate the pricing and promotion of the APDS platform, crisply articulating the product features and benefits to external audiences
- Define and analyze metrics that inform the success of the platform.
Qualifications and Experience
- 8+ years in B2B/enterprise Product Management with proven track-record in end-to-end ownership of bringing new products to market, including market analysis, ROI assessment, requirements development, product delivery, marketing development, sales alignment, and support
- Exceptional judgment in weighing the tradeoffs among time to market, budget, and product features that maximizes the ROI of the product
- Proven success working with and delivering to enterprise customers and/or large public jurisdictions (e.g., Departments of Education, Departments of Correction, or other public safety jurisdictions) with a focus on data integration, tracking, and reporting
- Very strong customer-facing written and verbal communication and presentation
- Excellent project management skills, particularly the ability to handle multiple priorities, stakeholders and workstreams
- 5+ years in leading and mentoring a team and in investing in each team member's career development
- Experience delivering enterprise educational platforms preferred but not required
Basic Expectations for all APDS Employees
- Belief in APDS’s mission to reduce recidivism and improve the life chances of incarcerated learners and returning citizens
- Be on time for work; notify appropriate people if you will not be at work during your regular schedule.
- Be on time for meetings with staff and clients.
- Follow up on things on your plate; don’t expect others to remind you. Trust others to do the same.
- Take initiative if you realize something needs to be taken care of. We are a team; either do it yourself, or communicate with someone else about it.
- Clear, concise, and timely communication is essential.
- Respond to emails and voicemails promptly.
Location and Travel
New York City or remote. Travel: 2-3 times per quarter (post-COVID). Additional travel may be required for applicants outside of NYC.
American Prison Data Systems (APDS) is Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a certified B-Corporation that provides educational software and technology to correctional facilities across the country. There are more than 2 million people incarcerated and more than 4.5 million paroled in the U.S. APDS provides tablet-based education solutions for incarcerated learners and returning citizens in order to create better outcomes through individualized education, rehabilitation, and reentry programming to prepare them for a successful reentry to society. Investments in correctional education improves outcomes, reduces recidivism, and makes correctional facilities safer for both staff and those who are incarcerated. APDS never charges incarcerated individuals or their friends and families for its technology or services.
Learn more at
APDS offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits (Fully Covered Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Medical savings, Transit, etc.).
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, APDS is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds. We strongly encourage candidates who represent the communities we serve to apply.